The International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) on behalf of the Finnish Red Cross is looking for a qualified and dynamic Sierra Leonean to fill the position of Finance Officer.
Job Title: – Finance Officer
No. of Post: – One (1)
Duration: 20 months
Duty Station: – Freetown
|Organizational context (where the job is located in the Organization)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC or “the Federation”) is the World’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The Federation is a membership organization established by and comprised of its member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Along with National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Federation is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
Finnish Red Cross (FRC) has supported humanitarian and development needs in Sierra Leone since the 1990s.
A bilateral partnership started in 2010 and in 2019 FRC formed a consortium with Icelandic Red Cross.
From 2020, the consortium has been supporting a community-based resilience programme, BRIDGE, that is planned to run until the end of 2024. BRIDGE is implemented in 62 communities of six branches (Bo, Bonthe, Kenema, Konom Moyamba and Pujehun).
Icelandic RC is supporting SLRCS to implement a Tree Planting and Care Project in Sierra Leone May 2022 – April 2023 with funds and reports are channeled through FRC.
In 2023 FRC will support SLRCS with funds for Financial Sustainability initiatives
Annual budgets for 2023 amount to close to EUR 1 million.
This position is based in Sierra Leone Country Office, Freetown to support the Partner National Society in day-to-day operational Financial Management and Reporting of programmes funded through Finnish and Icelandic Red Cross Societies, and assuring adherence to the internal SLRC procedures and compliance with back-donor requirements (Red Cross and donors). The position is for an initially period until the end of 2024 and includes a trial period of 6 months.
|Job duties and responsibilities
The Finance Officer will independently, but in frequent collaboration and coordination perform he following duties based on joint work planning, as agreed with the FinRC Country Manager and Regional Finance and Administration Delegate (RFAD):
Accounting and Financial Reporting
· Verify that SLRCS project accounting meets projects’ agreed requirements of accuracy and timelines and are consistent with SLRCS policies and procedures, and FinRC/IceRC financial management guidelines as per the back- donor requirements.
· Validate that SLRCS project financial reports are correct in terms of entries and calculations; and ensure all data is consistent with figures presented in supporting documents.
· Ensure budget variance analysis gives explanations as required and that the actual expenditure reported in the BVA is correct and consistent with narrative reports.
· Assist with verification of SLRCS payment requests ensuring compliance with necessary internal controls and procedures.
· Undertake quality control of cash transfer requests from SLRCS and transmit them to FRC-RFAD for further processing.
· Provide technical support as agreed to SLRCS in preparing annual and revised programme budgets.
Systems, Internal controls
· Identify broader systematic issues within FinRC/IceRC supported SLRCS project financial management practice that need addressing and could be improved; and in liaison with FinRC RFAD and SLRCS Finance Coordinator to agree plan of action as to who will address this with SLRCS Financial Department and how;
· Provide technical support to SLRCS on procurement processes;
· Ensure that SLRCS fixed assets inventory lists for projects are in line with SLRCS policies and project requirements and are established and maintained.
· Assist with the overall process of risk monitoring on all FinRC/IceRC supported programmes within SLRCS
· Assist in planning and organizing project audits and Donor initiated audits in Sierra Leone in relation to FinRC and Ice RC supported programmes.
Capacity Building of HNS
· Assist or lead where delegated, FinRC financial management capacity building efforts with SLRCS both at HQ and at branch level.
· Contribute to efficient and constructive communication and coordination between FinRC Country Manager, FinRC RFAD and SLRCS finance and programme staff on financial matters
· Participate in SLRCS review meetings, bi-annual meetings and other meetings and field visits as needed
· Any other duties as assigned by FinRC Country Manager.
Duties applicable to all staff
|1.||Actively work towards the achievement of SLRCS and FRC goals as expressed in latest strategic plans|
|2.||Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles|
|3||Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager|
|Bachelor’s Degree in accounting / Finance||X|
|ACCA qualification preferred||X|
|Minimum 3 years financial management or auditing experience within the private or NGO sector||X|
|Experience in financial management with or supporting Non-Government Organisations is an asset||X|
|· Experience and knowledge of international donor financial management
requirements is an asset.
|Experience in budget preparation and follow-up, and internal controls||X|
|Fluently spoken and written English||X|
|Basic spoken and written French||X|
Application should be sent with the following documents.
- Application letter
- An updated C.V. + Names and contacts of three (03) referees to be sent to.
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
5C Cantonment Road
Off Kingharman Road
For the attention of the IFRC Admin/HR Officer.
Closing dated for the receipt of applications would be on Wednesday 5th April 2023
Interviews will be conducted, and only selected candidates will be contacted.